Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Art of Breaking Up: Road rage or taking the high road?

They say that there's a formula (atleast according to the yahoo chat groups, which so far have been my font of wisdom for matters pertaining to the heart) for how long it should take to get over someone. You take how long you were together and divide it by half ... and that's a safe estimate. BTW: there's also a formula for calculating if someone is too young or too old to date (very mathematical, and I'll save that story and formula for another blog). But my point is that I get over someone in dog years, as in, take how long we were together and multiply that by seven. My last relationship was an intense one-month long affair in which we talked deep into the night about our deepest sorrows and joys ... we broke up in August, lingered till October, and then entirely cut off contact. It's been four months since, so I have three more months of this dull ache to go by my estimates.

What I'm tortured by late at night is whether I broke up...well...well. I have a tendancy to take the high road, so when we met for our final tea I made a list of 10 questions pertaining to our relationship (yes, I'm a total dork)to get our conversation going in a positive strain. Things like, "What have you learned from this?" "What was one of your best moments?" "How will you remember me?" "What went wrong?" "Why are you such an asshole who doesn't know what he wants, gets me all tangled into this mess, and then leaves when things start getting real????" I didn't ask that last question, and that's the question I wish I had. I've always felt that it's important to leave people better than when you met them; and that when a love relationship ends it's best (just like in an exit interview at a job) to take the high road and not go into the petty nitty gritty of rehashing what went wrong. Something did, you tried, one or both of you didn't want to keep going, and now whether your heart feels like it's been shredded or not, it's over. Why draw blood? Why not remember the best stuff and walk away with your head high and with dignity and grace?

I'll tell you why. Because, then, some night when you can't sleep and the thousands of dogs outside your window are howling in chorus, you'll feel this rage build up in you and a torrent of unanswered unasked questions shower through you like pellets; each "why?" a little dart in your heart. You'll think of a million zillion things that you should have held him accountable for, but didn't. That's why. In the mood I'm in right now, I wish I could rewind, go back to our nice tea (which I paid for) and have one of my wittiest, smartest friends write me a little speech filled with biting and razor sharp points that illuminate how hypocritical and idiotic he was ... all said calmly and with total control of emotion. And then, I'd like to dump the tea on his head and walk away, like they do in the movies.

While this is my current fantasy, the truth is, I still am unable to hate him. I think in life connections are hard enough to come by, so whether they worked out the way we wanted them to or not, there's still something valuable there to keep. Why burn bridges? And ... sigh ... so, this brings me back to my initial question ... when breaking up is it better to take the high road, or is it better to rage rage against the dying of the light?

6 comments:

  1. Franz Fannon said " Violence is therapeutic". And I completely agree.

    It will help u get over the scumbag sooner and with absolute ease than taking the moral high road. The moral high road is the road to self inflicted pain most of the times, I can speak for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True true! However, I also think that once you've gotten over him properly, the moral high road will open up before you and be the only possible path left. And it'll be EASY to take!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one.. its not important how long you take to get over someone.. everyone needs their own time... despite what anyone says.. you'll get over someone when you do.. no sense in rushing it.. thats worse.. but when you are over that person, in your own time.. at your own pace, you are OVER him.. and thats important to being able to move on... which is what its all about..

    two.. morality is a waste of time, energy & emotion... violence isn't therapeutic.. the only thing thats works is time & pepperoni pizza.. in a secret proportion.. which i cant tell you.. sorry.. it doesn't matter which road you took or take... you'll take as long as you take either way...

    also...this being friends, respecting the person he is and the real connection is all an eye wash.. to your desperate search for love and the need to believe it exists..

    it does... so take a deep breath, sigh and just wait it out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. waiting... waiting... anyone have the number for "dial-a-pizza-heartbreak-special"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, Ray Charles' "Bye Bye Love" works pretty well too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piya: Know what else works? When said "him" is revealed as absolute integrity-free slimeball. THEN, the getting-over bit is a breeze! :)

    Anahat: We desire clarity and elaboration on "morality is a waste of time" etc. Do explain!

    ReplyDelete