Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Never Got an Answer...!

“I’ve heard that it’s something that happens between a boy and a girl when they grow up,” said wide-eyed, curly-top Vikram, my best friend in class IV.


“Listen! I swear I’ll complain to Kumud Ma'am if you ask me dirty things like this again!” screeched Sonia the snob, my class monitor in class VII, as we returned for History class after recess.


“Don’t you ask me such smart-Alec questions! Why don’t you just focus on your studies like other 12-year olds? Huh?” admonished Radha - my imperial sister, six years my senior.


“Listen kiddo! I’ve got to rush for my football practice. Later, OK?” Rajan - my brother, my idol, my hero (just two years older than me), barked rushing past me.


“Nothing yaar! All bakwaas!” said Ronnie - the senior school swimming champion, lazily chewing his gum.


“Uff-oh! You’ll find the answer when it happens to you. Have patience dear!” said miss-know-it-all, class topper Surbhi with a saint-like look on her face.


“It’s all give-and-take business, pal!’ said Vanraj - son of a diamond merchant , my colony friend, with whom I had smoked my first cigarette.


“It’s……..I don’t know……..umm………I think…………how do I say………….rather difficult…………it’s like…………” mumbled Udita behind a veil of hash-smoke in College canteen.


“Sacrifice, beta! Sacrifice.” Said Ma and sighed!


“Good question! Hmmm...” said Pa and walked off.


“A time-pass for sentimental fools,” said Aditya- the secretary of the College photography club.


“Who’s got the time dude? Focus on the presentation,” said Iqbal - my first colleague at work - and rushed off to the conference room.


“Kyon pooch rahe ho? Pehle batao. Batao na…..!” said Rani Malhotra, fluttering her eyelashes from behind the office reception.


“Bus hai! Kucch khaas hai, bacche!” said Guruji - my music teacher - with a faraway look in his eyes


“Faaltu baaton mein time mat waste kar. Kaam kar apna,” said Andrew, my trainer at a three-day workshop on interpersonal relationships in Goa.


Never got a straight answer!

Never got an answer!


I no longer ask “What is love?”

I don’t want to.

I don’t need to.

I’m happy soaking in it, showering it.

Whatever it is……………………………!!

4 comments:

  1. Haha, that's really true! No one seems to be able to actually define love, and everyone has a different take ont it... Might as well just enjoy it! :) Also, great to have a humorous post here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post... the many answers all giving no answer; all different facets of one unknowable truly feelable thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started the same quest, Love was defined as grand passion.
    Some years later, it was intense pain, then again, it was based on friendship with possibilities of longterm peaceful co-existence.
    Now, Love is the relationship I have with myself and the way it works, I can see in the faces around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ash... such a beautiful defintion "i can see it in the faces around me"

    ReplyDelete